Animal Control

The County of Wetaskiwin maintains 2 full-time Dog Control / Bylaw Enforcement Officers  regarding complaints of dogs. Officers respond to complaints on a need-to basis, following up on calls received on complaint line.

Dog Control Officers issue summons for offences under the County of Wetaskiwin Dog Control Dog Control Bylaw Number 2019/06.

Restricted Dogs

The Dog Control Bylaw includes provisions for "Restricted Dogs". Schedule "B" outlines the offense amounts for infractions to the new bylaw. Schedule "C" outlines the offense amounts involving Restricted Dogs as per Section 2(r).

Dogs at Large (Strays/Missing)

The majority of calls received by Dog Control Officers involve dogs at large or collecting of strays. Dogs picked up by Officers are housed at a local veterinarian facility. The Officers attempts to locate the owners of the dogs through tattoos or micro-chips. If your dog has gone missing or you would like to report a complaint, please call the Dog Control 24 hour dispatch line at 780-352-0005 or fill out the Dog Complaint Form

Stray Dogs

Under the County of Wetaskiwin's Dog Control Bylaw Number 2017/35, any person in possession of a stray dog can notify and turn the dog over to Dog Control officers by calling 780-352-0005. Dog Control officers will pick up dogs Monday through Friday from 8:30 to 4:30, excluding holidays subject to scheduling issues.

Veterinary Services

If a dog is found on the weekend within the County of Wetaskiwin (this excludes the Summer Villages, the town of Millet, and the City of Wetaskiwin), citizens can take the dog to the Wetaskiwin Animal Clinic

Dogs impounded at Veterinary Service are held for 10 days if they have identification such as a licence tag, a legible tattoo or a readable microchip with up-to-date contact information. Dogs without identification are held for 72 hours. After this hold period, if the dog is unclaimed, it is up to the Veterinarian's discretion if he/she will  put the dog up for adoption. 

As soon as you know your dog is lost, you should:
  • Call your surrounding Veterinary services and check to see if they have any dogs that match your descriptions. People often bring stray pets to their vet so make sure the vets in your area know what dog you are looking for and how to reach you.
  • Call the dog complaint line at 780-352-0005 to report your lost dog.
  • Double-check with members of your household to ensure no one has your dog or knows where it is.
  • Enlist the help of friends and family to extend your search through the neighbourhood. Ask them to carry cell phones, so they can contact you if they find your dog.
  • When your dog is found, help close the loop by contacting all the people you have reported it to.
  • Tattooed / microchipped dogs find their way home faster.