Residential Development

New Dwelling for a Single FamilyResidential Development

Any building to be used as a dwelling requires a development permit.  This means any building that contains a kitchen, sleeping areas, and a bathroom, and is capable of year-round occupancy. For additional clarity, buildings referred to as “cabin”, “cottage”, “lake house”, etc. that meet the above description are considered a dwelling.

Types of dwellings include:

  • Detached Dwelling – House constructed on site.
  • Moved in Dwelling – House moved from another site.
  • Mobile Dwelling – Mobile home constructed and certified in accordance with the CSA-Z240 standards for foundations such as blocking and steel piles with an enclosed and insulated joist space.
  • Modular Dwelling – Factory constructed home with modular parts assembled on or transported to a site. Home has CSA-A277 certification as a ‘Modular’ and cannot be built to CSA-Z240 standards and must be set on a subgrade foundation, such as a grade beam, with a heated crawl space or basement. 
Mobile Home Sticker
Modular Home Sticker

Residential Accessory BuildingsAccessory Building 1

An accessory building is one that is separated from the main building on a property, in this case a dwelling. If the accessory building is less than 108 ft² (10 m²) in size and meets the setback requirements of the zoning district, a development permit is not required. In all other cases, a development permit is required. For further clarity, any accessory building 108 ft² (10 m²) or larger, with or without a permanent foundation (ie. on skids), requires a development permit.  

Typical Accessory Buildings include but are not limited to:

  • Garages
  • Sheds
  • Shops
  • Gazebos
  • Sea can containers
Accessory Building - Shed
View All

Other Types of Residential Development:

Development Not Requiring a Development Permit

An agricultural (farm) building does not require a development permit, if it meets the setback requirements of the zoning district the land is located and is not in the Agricultural/Intermunicipal Development Plan (A/ID) District around the City of Wetaskiwin.  

Types of Agricultural (farm) buildings include but are not limited to:

  • Livestock Shelters
  • Barns and outbuildings storing agricultural products and farm equipment
  • Silos
  • Granaries

Developments on a Farm Requiring a Development Permit

  • Dwelling units ie. House, mobile home, modular home, etc. [Link to Residential webpage]
  • Residential accessory buildings i.e. Garage, Shed, Gazebo, etc. [Link to Residential webpage]
  • Discretionary uses under the applicable agricultural zoning district
  • Farm buildings within the City and County of Wetaskiwin Intermunicipal Development Plan

Find out the Zoning of your property and applicable setback regulations

To confirm the zoning of your property, you may access an online digital County map to view the entire County, including your specific property. Once you find your property on the map, click on it and a pop-up window will display a host of information including the zoning of the parcel, lot area, etc. You can click on the zoning code to see the regulations for the zoning district including the setbacks required for buildings from the front, sides and rear property lines, and height. The mapping system also includes a measuring tool so you can measure setbacks on your property to confirm the proposed location of the building will meet the setback requirements. Further information on how to use the interactive map can be found here