Brushing of shrubs and trees within the road right-of-way is an important road maintenance activity in the County of Wetaskiwin. Trees and shrubs interfere with drainage, utilities, large vehicles, road subgrade, surface conditions and cause traffic safety issues due to reduction of sight lines.
BRUSHING, BURNING AND SPRAYING:
Prior to work commencing, the following is to be accomplished for each site:
- Right of Entry (ROE) agreement in place (if necessary); details of the ROE to be fully communicated to crew;
- Utilities located; crossing agreements in place (if necessary);
- Hazard Assessment completed by the Foreman and Crew
- Traffic hazards and control
- Utilities and drainage systems
- Overhead power lines, power poles and guy wire anchors
- Limitations and setbacks regarding buried high-pressure gas lines (crossing agreements)
- Working conditions; extreme weather
- Ground conditions; hidden hazards
Once the preliminary details and safety controls have been discussed with the Crew, the work can begin. Typical hours of operation are between 7 am and 5 pm (Monday to Friday). During winter hours, work will not be carried out unless there is suitable daylight.
The detailed 2020 Brushing Work Plan can be viewed by clicking on the Link below.